Recipe by Juenessa
This recipe courtesy of Hotel Carter in Eureka, California.
Top Review by Holmes Basque
This is a wonderful recipe!!! I love it!!! I've made I don't know how many times... when my friends try them they can't get enough. If I don't have buttermilk I sometimes make them with milk and vinegar, or plain milk works wonderful... I love the fact that they are eggless, It's the recipe I allways make when I don't have them and I want to bake something...DELICIOSOS!!!! Thank you so much.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3⁄4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chilled buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into large bowl.
- Mix in orange peel.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in dried cranberries.
- Gradually add buttermilk, tossing with fork until moist clumps form.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface.
- Knead briefly to bind dough, about 4 turns. Form dough into 1-inch-thick round.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake until tops of scones are golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Let stand on baking sheet 10 minutes.
- Serve scones warm or at room temperature.