Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe courtesy of Hotel Carter in Eureka, California.
Make and share this Cranberry-Orange Scones recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into large bowl.
- Mix in orange peel.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in dried cranberries.
- Gradually add buttermilk, tossing with fork until moist clumps form.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface.
- Knead briefly to bind dough, about 4 turns. Form dough into 1-inch-thick round.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake until tops of scones are golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Let stand on baking sheet 10 minutes.
- Serve scones warm or at room temperature.
This is a wonderful recipe!!! I love it!!! I've made I don't know how many times... when my friends try them they can't get enough. If I don't have buttermilk I sometimes make them with milk and vinegar, or plain milk works wonderful... I love the fact that they are eggless, It's the recipe I allways make when I don't have them and I want to bake something...DELICIOSOS!!!! Thank you so much.
I love this recipe. I have received so many compliments and I have people ask me to make them. I Love adding dried fruit, orange zest and white chocolate chips. YUMMY! I then brush the tops with milk and put a fair amount of decorating sugar (thicker than regular sugar). Another version is chocolate chips and oatmeal! The possibilities are endless with this recipe. Be adventurous! I separate the dough into two balls andI use a pizza cutter to cut them, and I cut into 8 pieces each. Perfect size!
I made these yesterday and was very pleased! The recipe made 8 large scones. I started by using forks to cut in the butter but ended up using my fingers as I don't have a pastry cutter. This worked much better than forks. I also added some orange flavour (just a drop) but I found that it made a big difference as I like the orange flavour. I was true to the recipe in every other respect. Thank you so much for a great go-to scone recipe as I am sure that I will use this again and again!