Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These lower fat scones are delicious as is or with the orange glaze. Adapted from Betty Crocker's Diabetic Cookbook.
- 2 cups bran flakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine (or slightly less)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
Optional Orange Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange juice
- Place cereal in plastic bag and slightly crush with rolling pin; set aside.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, orange peel, and salt in medium bowl. Cut in margarine (You may want to use about a tbsp less of margarine since the original recipe called for regular margarine or butter which has a lower water content) using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives until mixture looks like coarse crumbles.
- Stir in cereal, cranberries, egg, and yogurt until a soft dough forms.
- Place dough on a floured surface, gently roll in flour to lightly coat; shape into a ball (if dough is too wet to achieve this step, skip it).
- Pat dough into 8-inch circle with floured hands; cut circle into 12 wedges with a sharp knife dipped in flour. Place wedges about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes at 400°F or until edges are light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet onto wire rack (place rack on waxed paper to catch drips).
- Cool 5 minutes; combine ingredients for glaze, mix until thin enough to drizzle; drizzle scones with orange glaze.
- After glaze has set, store in a sealed container.