Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Having tried a number of cranberry sauce recipes over the years, I find this one to be easy and very tasty. As with many such sauces, it goes well with poultry, pork, meatloaf, pound cake, ice cream, cottage cheese & more! Pleast note that I much prefer to use chunky applesauce as the final ingredient.
- 236.59 ml water
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 340.19 g bag cranberries
- 1 large navel orange
- 453.59 g can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 354.88 ml applesauce
- In a medium sauce pan dissolve sugar in water, then bring to boil.
- Pick over the cranberries, keeping only quality berries & add them to the boiling sugar water. Return to boil & reduce heat & boil berries gently for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, zest the orange. Chop zest into small bits. Then remove the white pith from the orange before coarsly dicing the orange.
- When the cranberries have been removed from heat, add the chopped zest, diced orange, canned cranberry sauce and chunky applesauce & mix thoroughly.
- Cool to room temperature, then cover & refrigerate.
What a yummy treat. The absolute best cranberry sauce. A thin sauce with lovely chunks of cranberries, orange, and apple. This is a very sweet sauce with no tart after taste. We had it over chicken and DH thought it would be good on ice cream. Thanks so much for the post.