Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Quinoa (pronounced 'KEEN-wa') is a whole grain originating from Central America. It has become very popular recently for it's health benefits as a complete protein substitute for vegetarians. Quinoa is similar in texture to couscous and very versatile. This particular recipe is a wonderful and flavorful side dish for any occasions.
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 fuji apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder (to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Melt butter to saucepan and add quinoa. On medium heat, toast quinoa until light golden brown.
- Add OJ and water to pan and bring to a boil then simmer on low for 30 min until liquid is absorbed.
- In mixing bowl, combine cranberries, chopped green onions, toasted pine nuts, and chopped apple.
- In a measuring cup, mix olive oil, vinegar, spices, and honey. Blend well.
- Add cooked quinoa to bowl and toss well with the dressing.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 min before serving. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.