Cook1 hr 15 mins
Got this recipe from a Nov. 1990 issue of Classic Pillsbury Cookbooks and have been making it ever since. I have made this dessert a Christmas tradition in our household (though have also served it for other special occasions). Everyone who has sampled it gives it a "thumbs up".
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh cranberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cranberries (do not thaw)
Butter Rum Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 teaspoons light rum or 1⁄4 teaspoon rum extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease and lightly flour 12 cup fluted tube pan.
- In large bowl, beat 2 3/4 cups sugar and 1 1/2 cups butter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and orange peel.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In medium bowl, combine 3 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Gently stir in cranberries.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350 degree for 65 to 75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp flour.
- Stir in half-and-half and 1/2 cup butter.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in rum.
- Serve warm sauce over cake.
Last week I bought some fresh cranberries and I finally made your recipe!! DEEEEEELICIOUS! I did add 2 teaspoons of orange zest, just because I love it! And I baked it in two loaf pans, one is in the freezer(not sure how long it will be there!) LOL This will become a family favourite too! Thanks NS Cook
Amazing cake and wonderful flavor combination. Had never thought of putting rum and cranberries together. Thanks so much. We absolutely love anything with cranberries and well the rum sauce is just ther absolute final touch. Highly recommend.
this cake is beautiful! it's a hit every time i make it; i followed the instructions just as written, except i do tweak the baking time just a little (downward by a couple of minutes) to adjust to my oven temp. the butter rum sauce is to die for; we heat it in the microwave when serving leftover cake. if you like cranberries, this is a great recipe!