Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
May take a little longer to make but your family and friends are worth it. Chill dough at least 4 hours.
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange rind
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- For filling, in a food processor bowl combine cranberries, pecans, and brown sugar.
- Cover; process until cranberries and nuts are finely chopped; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add baking powder, and salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl.
- Beat in eggs and orange peel until combined.
- Beat in flour.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll half of the dough between pieces of waxed paper into a 10-inch square.
- Spread half of filling over dough square to within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Roll up dough.
- Moisten edges; pinch to seal.
- Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place slices 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned.
- Cool on a cookie sheet for 1 minute.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool.
These were just lovely. I really enjoyed using pecans as a change from the more common pairing of cranberries with walnuts. Since the center of my holiday trays are a spritz cookie, I tend to make all of my other cookies rather small. So, a half batch of this left me with 3 dozen one to one and a half inch cookies. In a bit of a rush so I popped my logs into the freezer for 90 minutes and that worked rather well. The cookies held their shape nicely though it added a minute to the baking time. The dough is tender with a good crispiness. Loved the tartness of the cranberries - one of my favorite fall flavors. I'm planning to keep this in my list of favorites but will probably add a little more orange zest and maybe some nutmeg to the cranberry filling. Thanks!!
Impressive, elegant, tasty, easy, and unique = 5 stars!