Recipe by PaulaG
This probably will not wow your taste buds; however, it is a healthy breakfast alternative. This combines the concentrated fiber of oat bran with the coarser texture of traditional oatmeal.
Top Review by UmmBinat
This has good flavour. I agree with Mikekey it did wow my taste buds for oatmeal. I especially liked the cardamom flavour in this, I used fresh whole cardamom and ground the seeds in a coffee grinder. The smell of it cooking on the stove reminds me of holiday season being all warm and cozy by the fireplace. I did have to substitute raisins in place of the dried cranberries which I cut by half out of preference. I also had no oat bran on hand so I ground up 1/3 cup oats in replacement for the texture. Served with dark brown sugar DD (toddler) liked it as well. Made for RECIPE SWAP #45 - October 2010.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup natural oat bran
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- maple syrup (optional)
- honey (optional)
- brown sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water and juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Combine the oats, bran, spices and cranberries.
- Add to juice mixture, stirring briskly with fork or wire whisk to prevent lumps from forming.
- Cook until desired consistency, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with your favorite sweetener.