These muffins always turn out moist and delicious with a wonderful orange flavor, because of the lovely red cranberries it makes a wonderful Christmas brunch muffin --- cranberries can be replaced with frozen or fresh blueberries if desired :)
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thawed and well drained frozen cranberries or 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Line muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- In a bowl, blend together melted butter and brown sugar using a wooden spoon.
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla, milk and orange juice.
- In another bowl, combine the flours, orange peel, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in orange juice/milk mixture.
- Blend JUST until combined.
- Gently stir in cranberries.
- Divide batter between prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until muffins test done.
- Turn out on a cooling rack.
- Note: These muffins freeze beautifully.
Very yum. I used veg oil instead of butter (just being lazy), also added 1 1/2 cups frozen cranberries, which I didn't defrost. For me, 20 was more than enough (18 was likely best) and I got 12 regular and 12 mini muffins from the batter. Will make again for sure, as they were tender and moist, but may sprinkle with brown sugar next time. Thanks
I love these, reduced the brown sugar by 1/4 cup, used whole wheat flour once and now use all white flour. Forgot to put the OJ in one time and they were fine without it. I'm keeping a bag of frozen cranberries to make more. I do spray my paper liners because they tend to stick. Now I did depart from Kittencal's recipe because I decided I wanted a streusel topping and found a nice oatmeal one as follows: 1-1/4 cups old fashioned oats, 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour (use any), 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks; 1 tablespoon honey - worked with my fingers but will try softened butter and a fork, then work in the oatmeal and honey. I saved out 2 cranberry halves to put in with the streusel on top, cut side up is prettier. Next time I am going to end with sprinkling with a little sparkley baker's sugar. Am also going to try some cut up candied orange peel I made, lots of little variations you can do.
Super!!! Easy to make. The only thing I did different is I pre-heated the oven to 400, then turned down to 375 because with a dark baking tin, muffins tend to burn. I baked for 23 minutes and they were perfect! I also cut the cranberries in half to spread them more evenly throughout the muffins. What a great combination of sweet and tart...great with coffee! Thanks Kitten for a wonderful recipe!