Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Cooking Light November 2005
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degres.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with knife. Set aside 1 Tablespoon sugar. Combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Combine rind, juice, oil, and egg in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just moist. Fold in cranberries and walnuts. Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with reserved sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched lightly in the center. Run a knife or spatula around outer edge of each muffin cup. Carefully remove each muffin; place on wire rack.
Super duper awesome muffins!! I used whole wheat flour and whole oats, Sun Crystals in place of the sugar, applesauce in place of the oil, and Craisins in place of the cranberries. (Ok, 3 steps in the right direction... but craisins are sooo tasty!!) Great balance of orange to cranberry flavor, and wonderful texture from the walnuts. Mmmmm. I will make again and again. (And again!)
I started making this about five min. after I read the reviews! I used reg. Tropicana o.j. but I added in clementine zest and tbs fresh lemon juice (as prev. reviewer did). I also made 12 nice sized muffins. I was delighted with these muffins! The sugar on top added a nice crunchy contrast to the fluffy interior. Thanks G. Granola, for a super recipe. It's now my FAVORITE cranerry muffin recipe! Roxygirl
This is my new favorite muffin recipe. I made 12 muffins instead of 16. They turned out a very nice shape with a nice muffin top, which is my favorite part. Thanks for a great recipe. I will definitely make these again very soon.