Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is diabetic friendly.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (save rind)
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1 tablespoon orange, zest of (of above orange)
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh cranberries
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine egg, oil, juice, milk, Splenda and orange zest mixing well.
- Add cranberries and liquid mixture to the flour and mix until flour is just moistened.
- Do not over mix.
- Divide batter into 12 prepared muffin tins whether they are lined or sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until done.
- Remove muffins from tins and let cool on a rack.
These are really nice muffins and we enjoyed the orange zest in these. Thanks for sharing. Made for What's on the Menu tag.
These muffins were a product of my impulsive bargain buy over the Christmas holiday--two 3lb. bags of fresh cranberries (I had never used cranberries before at all!). I thought they looked so pretty and inviting. Well. I didn't realize how very bitter fresh cranberries are, and they have sat in my freezer since I tried that first bag. For the cranberries themselves, I chopped them and let them sit an hour in about 1/2 cup Splenda to sweeten them up. (It could have used a little more sweetener, I think). As for the actual baking, I did sub applesauce for the oil, and I can't have orange juice, so I used plain soy yogurt (3/4 c. or one container), with a couple tsp. orange extract mixed in. The muffins came out so beautifully fluffy and gorgeous, but I would use probably 1 1/2 c. Splenda for my recipe (I probably was missing the sugar the orange juice would have added). Thank you for a great recipe; one I will have to be making again to finish up that bag!! ;)
I made this for the ZWTII. I made this for Breakfast but We all agree it can also be a Dessert or Snack! We used regular sugar and also sprinkled sugar on top of the batter before we baked them! Delicious!