Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posted in reply to a message board request. This is a recipe I make often. Since they are low fat, its important to store them in an air tight container because they will dry out quickly.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup or 1⁄3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
- nonstick cooking spray (for muffin pan)
- Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In medium bowl, using a wire whisk or fork, thoroughly mix sugar and orange juice.
- Whisk in egg whites, corn syrup and orange peel until blended.
- Gradually add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in cranberries (and nuts, if using).
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to touch.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool completely on wire rack.
- Store in airtight container.
The batter tasted good but my muffins burned after only 20 minutes. Guess I should have watched them more closely. :(