Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
A great loaf to make, I have made this recipe alot, and have used raisins, raspberries ( it's really good with the raspberries) and it sure make's your kitchen smell nice.
- 1 orange
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Grate rind from orange, squeeze juice into liquid measure, add enough water to make 3/4 cup.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange rind; stir in cranberries.
- In small bowl, whisk together egg, butter and orange juice; stir into flour mixture just until blended.
- Spread in greased 9x5 Loaf pan.
- Bake in centre of 350F oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, turn out onto rack and let cool completely.
- (Make-ahead, store at room temperature for up to 2 days or over-wrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.).
I had to give it 5 stars because the local bakery sells this and I really wanted to have it home with little to no cost. I keep all the ingredients on hand except for the oranges, but those aren't expensive. I did make final changes to after it's baked. I poked random hole in it with a toothpick and brushed on a good quality orange juice until soaked in, and then made an orange glaze using some more oj and orange extract. Stir in with confectioner's sugar, and then pour on top to heart's desire. Not too sweet, but the glaze helped with that. If you're using dried cranberries like I did, soak them in hot water first to swell them up. So good.
I made this loaf with fresh raspberries instead of the cranberries. The loaf turned out excellent. It was mosit and perfect texture and the kitchen smelled great. I made as mini loafs and they were all gone within a day. I will be making again.
I substituted the all-purpose flour with white spelt flour, the egg with half a banana and the butter with margerine. The loaf was excellent! I'll definitely make this again.