Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a wonderful sweet and tangy holiday cake that can be made weeks in advance. The longer it rests the flavors develop and they're a great treat to give as a gift.
Bowl 1 Batter
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates (diced)
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 2 cups cranberries
- 2 to taste x oranges, zest of
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
Bowl 3 Glaze
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bowl#1~ sift flour, sugar, BP, dates, nuts, cranberries and zest of 2 oranges; set aside.
- Bowl#2~ In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil and buttermilk and add to dry ingredients in bowl#1.
- Pour into 2, well-greased loaf pans 7-1/2" x 3".
- Bake for 35 minutes or until cake-tester comes out clean.
- Mix orange juice and sugar and pour over cooled cake.
- These cakes keep very well in the refrigerator for 2 weeks wrapped in plastic wrap and turned upside down and right-side up to distribute the moisture evenly throughout.
This sounds great on paper, and the flavor is good, but there were problems with the recipe. This really didn't rise at all, and I know my baking power was fresh. The bigger problem was the glaze. Does it need to be cooked into a syrup? Seemed weird to just mix a cup of orange juice with a cup of sugar. When I poured it over the cooled cake it just ran right off into a puddle on the plate.