9 hrs 20 mins
Shannon Holmes's Note:
Wow, these are good! A must for all of you that are cranberry orange muffin lovers. MMMM! The 9 hours includes the soak time of the cranberries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cranberry granola (I used Zoe's Cranberry and Currant Granola, or a flaked cranberry cereal)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons soymilk, to taste
- 1Soak the cranberries in the juice overnight, I added the zest to the jar also.
- 2(one jar with a lid, I save a PB jar for this use) The next day-- preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 3Spray either 6 large muffin baking cup pan or 12 small muffin cups with cooking spray.
- 4Make the topping, combine flour, cinnamon and sugar, cutting in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and set aside.
- 5In a large bowl, mix together the granola, soaked canberries and juice and applesauce.
- 6Set aside for 5 minutes, or until cereal is softened.
- 7Once cereal is soft, add the oil and the vanilla, place the oil in the jar to remove all flavor if desired.
- 8Stir together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 9Add the flour mixture to the cranberry mixture, stirring until combined, you will need to add the soy milk to make it not such a stiff dough, you may need up to 1/4 cup or more.
- 10Divide the mixture to muffin cups evenly.
- 11Sprinkle the muffins evenly with the topping.
- 12Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- 13Place on cooling rack, cover with a tea towel for 5 minutes.
- 14After the five minutes, run a butter knife around the muffins, then remove very carefully, they are very soft and delicate.
- 15Cool completely, place in tupperware lined with a paper towel.
- 16Freeze after 1-2 days, wrapped in plastic wrap.
- 17Tip: If you have no fresh oranges, cranberry orange juice (Minute Maid, I think) is a wonderful substitute or even OJ prepared from concentrate, but I prefer fresh as I like the zest added to these.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Orange Granola Crumble Topped Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.8
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 457.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of