Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a true old fashioned candy makers fudge...no cheating with this one. It takes a bit of extra work, but once you taste it you will agree that it was worth all the effort. Cooking time includes 2 hours of chilling time.
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped candied orange peel
- combine cranberries and orange juice in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- cover and microwave on high 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute.
- allow to stand covered 10 minutes.
- coarsely chop cranberries.
- line and 8" square baking pan with greased foil that extends over on two sides.
- butter sides of a heavy large saucepan.
- combine sugar, whipping cream and corn syrup.
- stirring constantly, cook over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
- using a pastry brush dipped in hot water, wash down any sugar crystals on the sides of the pan.
- attach a candy thermometer to pan, make sure it does not touch the bottom of the pan.
- increase heat to medium and bring mixture to a boil.
- cook, without stirring, until mixture reaches soft ball stage (234-240 degrees).
- test 1/2 tsp mixture in ice water (mixture will form a ball in the water but will flatten in your hand).
- place pan in 2" of cold water in the sink.
- add butter and vanilla; do not stir.
- cool to approximately 110 degrees.
- remove from sink.
- using medium speed of and electric mixer, beat until fudge thickens and begins to lose its gloss.
- stir in orange peel and cranberries.
- pour into prepared pan.
- cover and chill two hours.
- cut into 1" pieces.
VERY NICE! I'm a lover of cranberry & orange ANYTHING, & when you combine that with nice textured fudge, well...! I some homemade candied orange peel that I used for this, AND also substituted 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract for half of the vanilla flavoring! Turned out wonderfully for me ~ Many thanks! [Made & reviewed as a tagged bonus in Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #14, Mar 08]