Make sure to chill this dough before baking. These will wake your taste buds up.
Make and share this Cranberry Orange Cookies With Crystallized Ginger recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 2 teaspoons pure orange extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1 -3 teaspoon candied ginger, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 -6 drops oranges or 4 -6 drops red food coloring
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream sugar and shortening together until light and fluffy.
- Add cream, orange extract and grated orange rind.
- Gradually add flour mixture.
- Fold in cranberries and candied ginger.
- Form dough into 2 logs, each about 1 1/2- inches in diameter.
- Wrap in waxed paper and chill for at overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375° and lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Cut the logs into 1/4-inch thick slices and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- For glaze mix together orange juice, powdered sugar and food coloring.
- Drizzle on cooled cookies.
These are great but I changed the recipe slightly to make bar/cheesecake type of cookies. I made the dough as directed but instead of rolling it into logs I pressed it into a baking pan (9x13) and baked it for 15 minutes then added a cream cheese mixture (1 pkg cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla) and put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes. Wonderful and a great way to use up the last 1/2 bag of cranberries and cream cheese left over from the holidays. Thanks Rita for sharing!
Love these cookies, Lots of flavor, a nice soft cookie. I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of canndied ginger also extra orange zest. The cranberries are great, also add a nice color, makes a nice christmas cookie. Thanks Rita, for another delicious recipe.