OUT OF THIS WORLD! Tender and delicious! Flavor Galore! This is one of my favorite dishes. I have found that bone-in chicken gives more flavor. I use the following method for fall-off-the-bone chicken. After placing the lid on crock pot place a large double folded kitchen towel over top of lid letting it fall over sides of crock pot. This allows no steam to escape. The sauce in this dish makes good 'gravy' over cooked rice. Makes a pretty dish to serve guests.
- 3 chicken breasts (bone-in)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) whole berry cranberry sauce
- 3 ounces orange juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce or 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Rub salt onto chicken breasts and place in bottom of crock pot.
- In a medium bowl place onion, celery, cranberry sauce, orange juice, dry mustard, cinnamon, lemon juice, honey, brown sugar and chili sauce. Stir and pour over chicken breasts.
- Place lid on crock pot and top with kitchen towel using instructions in description above. (My crock pot is only 3 months old and I still do this.) Turn crock pot on high and allow to cook 1 hour. Turn on low for 3 or 4 hours. NOTE: I have tried leaving crock pot on high the entire time and this dish was done in 3 1/2 hours.
- Lift lid and quickly place orange slices over chicken without stirring. Cook an additional hour.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water. Add last 10 minutes of cooking time for thickening purposes.
- Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!
This was good and very easy to prepare. I enjoyed the orange accents in the flavor of the sauce. Thanks for sharing.
This is delicious and soooooo easy.
I gave this recipe 3 stars. This recipe had mixed reviews in my house. My 6 yr old newphew really liked this chicken. My future hubby thought the chicken was good. I wasn't very crazy over the flavor of the sauce. While I thought this sounded so good I just wasn't crazy over it. I had some Orange Spray whole berry cranberry sauce to use up so I searched recipes using it and came across this recipe and was pleased to have everything on hand. When I made this chicken I used imitation honey, chili sauce, and Splenda brown sugar. I did use chicken thighs instead of breast which were still slightly frozen so I cooked my chicken for 10 hours to make sure it was completely cooked. I decided to serve the chicken without the rice. Just as the recipe states the chicken does fall right off the bone which I did like. I removed the chicken before adding the cornstarch/water mix. I then served the sauce over the chicken. Over all I don't think I'll make this recipe again. Thanks for posting! Christine (internetnut)