Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
From Two Peas and Their Pod. Love these cookies.
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- confectioners' sugar
- orange juice, fresh from the orange
- orange zest
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the dried cranberries in a small bowl with hot water. Allow them to sit for a couple of minutes. Then drain. This just plumps them up:).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, zest, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter briefly, until creamy. Add the sugar, and beat until pale and fluffy. Add the egg, and beat well to mix. Add the vanilla, and beat briefly again. Mix in the flour mixture and the buttermilk in batches at low speed, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add in the dried cranberries.
- Drop the dough by level tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 ½ inches between each cookie. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, for about 11 minutes per batch. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 1 minute; then transfer them to a wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together the sifted confectioners sugar, orange juice, and zest. I just guess on the amount. Brush or spoon the glaze onto the warm cookies. Allow cookies to sit on the rack until the glaze is set.