Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe originally came from a free recipe card in Safeway - I have changed it a little bit to suit my tastes. I absoltutely love this combination of flavors! These are more tart and tangy than they are sweet - you could use a little more sugar if you wanted a sweeter bar. These are so perfect for breakfast - whenever I have guests staying over and fresh cranberries I whip this up and it is always a hit! Prep time includes cooling time.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9x13 baking pan. Zest and juice the orange.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork. Stir in the sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon and ginger until smooth. Batter will be very thick - use a little of the orange juice to thin it slightly - I usually use about a tablespoon of the orange juice for this. ( I have also just used store-bought orange juice and ate the rest of the orange after zesting instead of juicing it!).
- Fold in the cranberries, walnuts and orange zest.
- Spread batter into the prepared baking pan - it should be pretty thick and stiff, do your best to spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted near the middle (not into a cranberry!) comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cut into bars and serve warm or cool completely. Plan for 1-2 bars per serving.