Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Old-Fashioned oatmeal lends crunch and character to these tasty bars. The recipe is courtesy Gourmet Magazine November 2005.
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped (6-ounces)
- 1 1⁄3 cups dried cranberries, chopped
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees; generously butter a 9-inch square baking pan, set aside.
- Toast oatmeal in another baking pan, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 12 minutes.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy; Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; then beat into butter mixture until incorporated.
- Stir in oatmeal, pecans, and cranberries; spread into buttered pan.
- Bake until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes, then cut into bars.