I always make this with cranberries but it could be made with almost any dried fruit. I adapted this recipe from a recipe in a mystery book by Joanne Fluke. This recipe can be doubled to make a 9 x 13 inch pan of cookies.
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (1stick)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup dried sweetened cranberries (or other chopped dried fruit)
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats (uncooked oatmeal)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, rack in the middle position.
- Melt butter in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Add both sugars and let cool a bit.
- Add eggs, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Add flour and mix.
- Add the cranberries and oats and mix everything up. The dough will be quite stiff.
- With a spatula spread dough evenly into a greased 8x8 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25– 30 minutes.
- Cut into bars when cool.
- These freeze well if you roll them in foil and put them in a freezer bag.