Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These aren’t heinously spongy like most oatmeal muffins, and they actually have respectable mushroom-y muffin tops. You could always change up the berries in this, if you want. I love these!
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt (small pinch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (you can increase to 1/2 cup if you want these sweeter)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I use sour milk)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crumb
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F., and grease muffin tins or line with papers.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl, then stir in cranberries to coat with flour.
- Mix all wet ingredients.
- Add wet to dry, stir just until all the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Mix crumb ingredients with fingers.
- Drop into muffin tins, sprinkle each with a little of the crumb mixture, bake 15-20 minutes, until they test clean with a toothpick and spring back when touched.
delicious! The rich sweet molasses flavor provides an excellent contrast to the tartness of the berries. I thought about skipping the topping and I'm glad I didn't, because it lends a wonderful crunch. I used coconut oil in place of vegetable oil, and vanilla coconut milk in place of the regular milk. I'm looking forward to breakfast tomorrow, so I can eat another one of these muffins!