Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an adaption of najwa's great scone recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- sugar, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
- Combine the sour cream and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Combine egg and vanilla extract with sour cream mixture.
- Gently stir into the flour until moistened. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Knead dough 10 times only.
- Place dough on baking sheet and pat into 3/4" thickness.
- Cut into 6 wedges and separate so the scones are not touching. Leave adequate space for expansion.
- Dust with sugar.
- Bake 15-20 min or until golden brown.
I couldn't rate this yet because step 4 instructs you to "add sugar", but the amount is not stated in the ingredients list, just the sugar to dust the scones. I'd like to make this recipe, but need to find out the amount of sugar to put into the dough. Also, when do you add the nuts and cranberries?