Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Goes nicely with Autumn roasts. A great alternative to dressing for roast poultry.
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (or butter)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add rice and cook until opaque.
- Place rice and onions in an ovenproof casserole with the boiling water, cranberries, and salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly with lid or foil and bake for 20 minutes; test rice- if needed, bake longer until rice is tender.
- Allow casserole to stand, covered, for 10-12 minutes.
- Toast pecans in a pie pan in the oven for about 10-12 minutes; fold nuts and parsley into rice just prior to serving.