Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This pie has become a holiday tradition for us. It has a nice tangy/sweet taste, and it is great with whipped cream. It's also pretty easy as pies go.
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells
- 4 cups cranberries (fresh or thawed)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare pie crust in pie and crimp the edges.
- In a large bowl combine cranberries, brown sugar, nuts, 3 T.
- flour, and cinnamon.
- Spoon cranberry mixture into pie shell.
- Beat egg until thick.
- Gradually add sugar and beat well.
- Beat in 1/2 cup flour and butter.
- Pour butter mixture over cranberry mixture in pie crust.
- Cover crust edges with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 20-25 additional minutes.
This flavor of this pie is similar to that of a tart cherry pie. The brown sugar soothes some of the tang of the cranberries. The nuts add a nice texture to the pie. I served this warm with a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream. Yum! I will definately be adding this to my holiday dessert list.
We love love this simple, yet fancy dessert using fresh cranberries. I have been following this recipe exactly as provided and get requests to share the recipe by many. I always stock up on fresh cranberries during the holidays so I can make this pie all year long.! Excellent !
I grated an orange peel into the topping to add more flavor, not that it needs it. I've made this three times in the last month as people keep requesting it.