Recipe by PollyB
If you like your muffins warm, these warm up nicely in the microwave 15 seconds on high.
- 2 cups raw cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 grated orange, zest of
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour or 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Put the cranberries in a saucepan with the sugar, orange zest, and juice.
- Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until most of the berries burst and the sugar is dissolved, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.
- Add the buttermilk.
- Combine the dry ingredients except the nuts and stir half into the batter.
- Add the cranberries, then the remaining flour, and fold in the nuts.
- Spoon into lined muffin pans.
- Bake in the center of the oven until well browned on top and a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Turn out onto a rack to cool.