Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Attempt #2, with variations!
- 4 1⁄4 cups rolled oats, not instant
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄3 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed, golden
- 1⁄8 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup amaranth
- 3⁄4 cup wheat germ, raw
- 3⁄4 cup textured vegetable protein, flakes
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup light cranberry juice
- 1 cup sorghum, divided
- 1 cinnamon stick, crushed
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine "Dry Ingredients" in a large bowl.
- Combine oil, cranberry juice, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and 1/2 cup sorghum in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Reduce heat to low.
- Add syrup mixture to dry granola, about 1/4 - 1/2 cup at a time, mixing granola to coat evenly.
- Lightly spray two cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Divide granola-syrup mixture in two and spread each half on a separate cookie sheet, in even layers that fully extend to tray edges.
- Bake at 300 degrees, stirring every 10-15 minutes to prevent burning. For clumpy granola, drizzle remaining 1/2 cup sorghum on top after 15-20 minutes in oven.
- Bake 30-45 minutes TOTAL, until golden and halfway dry/crispy. Remove from oven & cool on wire racks. (Granola will continue to dry & crisp after removing from oven.)
- For a small crumble texture, stir granola periodically while cooling; for clusters, allow to cool completely before gently breaking into clumps.
- When completely cool, mix in any desired fruits and store in an airtight container (or wait until serving to add fruits/other toppings). NOTE: remove any cinnamon stick pieces before serving.