Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This pie is so easy and doesn't need a crust. Taste wonderful warm with a scoop of Homemade Vanilla Blue Bell Ice Cream!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh cranberries or 2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream (optional)
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add the nuts and cranberries, stir gently until coated.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Combine the melted butter and almond extract with the eggs. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Spread into a greased 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
Easy and tasty. I served slices with whipped topping, also liked the addition of nuts. Thank You!
This was my first time cooking with raw cranberries, but it won't be my last! Because we're not big fans of really tart foods, I chopped up the cranberries in my food processor (after chopping and removing my walnuts) to more evenly distribute the cranberry flavor throughout the dessert. I also used whole wheat pastry flour instead of the white flour, sucanat (dehydrated cane juice) instead of white sugar, and added a light sprinkling of freshly ground cloves to the batter at the end (a great complement to the almond extract!). I baked it in a cake pan, and it was ready in about 30 minutes. Wonderful result! The perfect fall dessert!
This is a hit whenever I make it. The almond extract really makes it 'pop' compared to other desserts. Note, the batter is generally very stiff, especially when using frozen cranberries. This is normal and the dessert always turns out great!