Recipe by TasteTester
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it would make a nice side dish, or even a snack. I plan on making it at Christmas time, when fresh cranberries are plentiful in the market. NOTE: I am writing the preparation directions exactly as written in this recipe, but you may want to try using the method Baby Kato uses in his Kato's Cornbread, which describes soaking the cornmeal in the milk first to eliminate the grittiness some people don't like in their cornbread.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this in one large loaf & the flavor combo of corn, lemon, toasted pistachio & cranberry was so satisfying ~ These would definitely make great mini-loaf gifts! I didn't soak the cornmeal this time around but might just do it another time to see how much difference it makes! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pistachio nuts or 1⁄3 cup pecans, toasted
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat the bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, or two 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray such as Pam; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the egg, milk, oil and lemon peel. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in nuts and cranberries. Spoon batter into prepared pans(s).
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes for the large loaf pan, or 45 to 50 minutes for the smaller loaf pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan(s) on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan(s). Cool completely on wire rack.