1 hr 10 mins
In Nanaimo, Canada, close to 200 tubbers (in every type of craft imaginable) entered the fun "bathrub race" competition in 1967 and amazingly, 47 completed the 36 mile course to Vancouver's Fisherman's Cove across the straits of Georgia. An annual event for more than 40 years, the "Great RACE" still starts and finishes in Nanaimo harbor but now covers a much more grueling course and includes a week-long celebration. Cook time includes chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup angel flake coconut
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce, finely chopped (with whole berries)
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (or orange liqueur or orange juice)
- 2 tablespoons custard powder or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 4 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Base: Melt butter with chocolate and remove from heat. Stir in sugar and egg. Add crumbs, coconut and orange rind; mix well. Press into 9" square pan. Chill.
- 2Cranberry Layer: Combine cranberry sauce and liqueur. Spread evenly over base. Custard Layer: Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Spread over base. Chill.
- 3Chocolate Layer: Melt chocolate and butter over low heat or in microwave on med. power for 2 minutes, stir until melted. Spread evenly over filling. Chill. Let stand at room temperature for fifteen minutes before cutting into bars.
- 4To store: Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks before cutting.
- 5To freeze: For longer storage, freeze bars before topping with chocolate and cutting. Thaw and spread with melted chocolate.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Nanaimo Bars
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.1
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 66.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: