Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have not tried this yet.
- 4 cups cucumbers, peeled, scored, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1⁄2 cup low-calorie cran-raspberry juice (Ocean Spray Light Cran-Raspberry Cranberry Raspberry Juice Drink)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- Peel cucumbers.
- Holding a fork with tines facing down, drag the tines down the length of the cucumber.
- Continue until all sides are scored.
- Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Toss sliced cucumbers with salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Place slices in a colander or sieve over a mixing bowl to drain for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, pour juice into a small mixing bowl.
- Add balsamic vinegar and fresh mint.
- After 1 hour, drain cucumber slices and pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Place in medium glass mixing bowl, add red onion and pour marinade over mixture tossing to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more to blend flavors.
- Keep refrigerated for up to a week in a tightly sealed container.
I liked these a lot after making them and chilling for about 90 minutes but loved them after chilling overnight. A definite improvement with time, not common in cucumber salads. I chose to use a seedless English cucumber so that I could keep the pretty green skin as a contrast to the pink juice. Lovely, lovely salad that would be great for a luncheon party or BBQ. (Updating to say that these are not as good two days later, too much wilting of the cucumbers and the mint looses some flavor. Oh well, next time I'll just have to finish the bowl sooner.) Thanks!