Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A loaf with the traditional Christmas colours and an unusual yet delicious, combination of flavours. Fresh cranberries, and spearmint gumdrops make this a pretty loaf.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 20 spearmint candy leaves (1 cup, see NOTE)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup hard margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Toss cranberries, gumdrops and first 1 tablespoons flour together in small bowl until cranberries and gumdrops are coated. Set aside.
- Cream margarine and sugar together in large bowl. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flavouring and lemon rind.
- Combine next 4 ingredients in separate large bowl. Add to margarine mixture. Stir until just moistened. Batter will be very thick.
- Stir in milk and cranberry mixture until just combined. Turn into greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. Bake in 350°F oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let stand in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely. Cuts into 18 slices.
- NOTE: Gumdrops are easiest to cut with greased kitchen scissors or very sharp greased knife.
- Company’s Coming Home for the Holidays.
great bread for the holidays - thank you so much!