Recipe by Mysterygirl
I adopted this recipe from the Recipezaar account and made it for Christmas. I am not a fan of mincemeat but with the cranberries and the egg nog cream it was quite tasty.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
More than just "quite tasty," this pie is really outstanding! Extremely rich, for sure, but that's what mince pies are! I whipped up egg nog from a recipe I have on file, & then got into the store of mince AND frozen cranberries that I have on hand throughout the year! The one alteration I made was to cut the amount of sugar in half! The cranberries cut the sweetness of the mince, & the mince, in turn, kept the berries from being too tart! I made it as a 9-inch deep dish pie & because it's so rich, I cut it into 10 slices! Absolutely a keeper recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement recipe tag]
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 10 inches pie crusts, double crust
- 1 quart mincemeat
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with 2 t. water
- 2 cups eggnog, chilled
- 1 (3 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; add water. Over high heat, cook and stir until boiling.
- Add cranberries; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn mincemeat into pastry lined 9 or 10" pie plate.
- Top with cranberries. Cover with vented top crust; seal and flute.
- Brush egg mixture over crust.
- Bake at 425 degrees in lower half of oven 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Decorate with Egg Nog cream (recipe follows).
- Egg Nog Cream: Whip whipping cream till stiff. In another large bowl, combine Egg Nog, pudding mix; blend well. Fold in whipping cream. Chill.
- Use as topping for pie, cake or fruit. Makes about 3 1/2 cups.