Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I adopted this recipe from the Recipezaar account and made it for Christmas. I am not a fan of mincemeat but with the cranberries and the egg nog cream it was quite tasty.
- In saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; add water. Over high heat, cook and stir until boiling.
- Add cranberries; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn mincemeat into pastry lined 9 or 10" pie plate.
- Top with cranberries. Cover with vented top crust; seal and flute.
- Brush egg mixture over crust.
- Bake at 425 degrees in lower half of oven 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Decorate with Egg Nog cream (recipe follows).
- Egg Nog Cream: Whip whipping cream till stiff. In another large bowl, combine Egg Nog, pudding mix; blend well. Fold in whipping cream. Chill.
- Use as topping for pie, cake or fruit. Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
More than just "quite tasty," this pie is really outstanding! Extremely rich, for sure, but that's what mince pies are! I whipped up egg nog from a recipe I have on file, & then got into the store of mince AND frozen cranberries that I have on hand throughout the year! The one alteration I made was to cut the amount of sugar in half! The cranberries cut the sweetness of the mince, & the mince, in turn, kept the berries from being too tart! I made it as a 9-inch deep dish pie & because it's so rich, I cut it into 10 slices! Absolutely a keeper recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement recipe tag]