Recipe by Sherrybeth
I found this recipe and made it....wow was it good! A unique blend of flavors and a very different meringue pie.
Top Review by mrswaz
I can't believe no one else has made this yet! First of all, the pie is stunning to look at- a real beauty. The lime in the meringue is fantastic and overall we really like this pie. I'm going to leave out the ginger next time and increase the sugar in the filling a tad, but that's my personal preference. This is going on my Thansgiving menu this year- it will be a delightful addition and an excellent counterpoint to the sweeter pecan pie. Thanks so much for posting this!
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked
- 2 (12 ounce) packages fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cranberry-apple juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime rind, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cranberries, one cup of sugar, cran-apple juice and salt in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat; stirring occasionally, until cranberries "pop".
- Pour the cranberries through a mesh strainer and discard skins/solids.
- Return the drained mix to the saucepan and add the cornstarch and water.
- Stir well over medium-high heat and then add ginger.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat after 2 minutes and add the butter and vanilla, mixing well.
- Pour this mixture into your pre-baked pie crust.
- Prepare your merinuge by beating the egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until they become foamy. Add the 1/3 cup of sugar a teaspoonful at a time until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved (about 4 minutes).
- Add the lime rind and beat slowly until just blended.
- Cover the cranberry mixture with the meringue and sealing to the edge of the pie crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes or until meringue is a light golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.