Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes from the 1967 Better Homes and Gardens 'so good with FRUIT' cookbook. The small meat loaves make a great presentation when served! I prefer using brown rice in this recipe.
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 236.59 ml cooked rice
- 118.29 ml tomato juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 59.14 ml onion, minced
- 14.79 ml Kitchen Bouquet
- 7.39 ml salt
- 453.59 g can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 78.07 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Thoroughly combine ground beef, rice, tomato juice, egg, onion, kitchen bouquet & salt, then shape into 5 loaves.
- Place the loaves in a 13"x9" glass baking dish.
- Combine the cranberry sauce, sugar & lemon juice, & spoon it over the loaves.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then remove the loaves & arrange them on a serving platter.
- Pour the cranberry sauce mixture into a gravy boat & serve it with the loaves.
This was my husband's favourite tagged recipe which I have made to date!!! He wanted to award 10 stars, so I explained the rating system to him!! I made this exactly as stated in the recipe, with one MINOR sub - tomato ketchup instead of tomato juice - I'd run out of juice! We had one hot meat loaf as a tester & then the rest of them we sliced & put in home-made bread with assorted salads & fruit chutneys/pickles etc for our supper. A wonderful recipe - I love all fruit, especially cranberries! Thanks Syd. FT:-)
Loved the cranberry sauce for these meatloaves, but was not overly thrilled with rice in the meatloaf. Will definitely make these again using my meatloaf recipe along with the cranberry sauce. Thanks for posting. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
Even though I totally screwed up, the taste of this meatloaf was great! I'll make it again, with a little more attention to the recipe! Thnx for posting, Syd. Made for Comfort Cafe Summer 2009.