Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from the 1967 Better Homes and Gardens 'so good with FRUIT' cookbook. The small meat loaves make a great presentation when served! I prefer using brown rice in this recipe.
Top Review by French Tart
This was my husband's favourite tagged recipe which I have made to date!!! He wanted to award 10 stars, so I explained the rating system to him!! I made this exactly as stated in the recipe, with one MINOR sub - tomato ketchup instead of tomato juice - I'd run out of juice! We had one hot meat loaf as a tester & then the rest of them we sliced & put in home-made bread with assorted salads & fruit chutneys/pickles etc for our supper. A wonderful recipe - I love all fruit, especially cranberries! Thanks Syd. FT:-)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Thoroughly combine ground beef, rice, tomato juice, egg, onion, kitchen bouquet & salt, then shape into 5 loaves.
- Place the loaves in a 13"x9" glass baking dish.
- Combine the cranberry sauce, sugar & lemon juice, & spoon it over the loaves.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then remove the loaves & arrange them on a serving platter.
- Pour the cranberry sauce mixture into a gravy boat & serve it with the loaves.