Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From British Columbia comes this recipe, a TOH family favorite, posted by one Marybell Lintott.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 (1 lb) package cocktail smoked sausage links
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble bulk sausage over the mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in balls. In a large skillet, cook meatballs over medium heat until browned, drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberry sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and mustard. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until cranberry sauce is melted. Add meatballs and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered until the meatballs are no longer pink, about 10 minutes, and the sauce is slightly thickened.
Delicious! I had to be a little careful not to let the meatballs fall apart, but that means they were tender later. The sauce was not only rich and smooth on the meat, but also sweet and savory over rice -- with a slight crunch of a tasty bit of onion here and there. Made for Photo Tag, Feb. 2009.