Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was shared by my dear friend Alma. Simple and tasty and the pumpernickel bread adds a little depth to it that is quite nice.
- 1360.77 g lean ground meat (Beef or beef & pork combined)
- 3 slice pumpernickel bread
- 118.29 ml milk
- 1 an onion, grated
- 29.58 ml chopped parsley (fresh is best)
- 2 (680.38 g) bottle chili sauce
- 2 (907.18 g) can cranberry sauce
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- Soak the bread in the milk till absorbed, 10 minutes or so. Squeeze the milk from the bread and mix the bread with the meat, onion, parsley and salt. Discard the milk.
- Shape the meat mixture into appetizer-sized balls, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in diameter and place in a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Heat the chili sauce, cranberry sauce and brown sugar until pourable and evenly pour it over the meatballs.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- Nice to cut the rest of the loaf of pumpernickel into half slices to serve with the meatballs and to even take an unsliced pumpernickel you've scooped out (use the scooped out part in place of the slices) and serve the meatballs that way!
***MADE FOR FALL PAC 2011*** My niece got married yesterday, and I made these meatballs to send to the house for the gift opening today. I'm not attending the gift opening, but I did keep a few of these gems for myself. These are great. I usually do meatballs in the grape jelly and chili sauce, and I think I like this better. I do like the pumpernickel in this. Not too noticeable, but gives it a good flavor. I baked them in the sauce and I whipped up a little extra sauce because I was putting these in a crockpot, and I didn't want them to dry out. Thanks Acceptance for posting this recipe.