This was shared by my dear friend Alma. Simple and tasty and the pumpernickel bread adds a little depth to it that is quite nice.
- Soak the bread in the milk till absorbed, 10 minutes or so. Squeeze the milk from the bread and mix the bread with the meat, onion, parsley and salt. Discard the milk.
- Shape the meat mixture into appetizer-sized balls, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in diameter and place in a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Heat the chili sauce, cranberry sauce and brown sugar until pourable and evenly pour it over the meatballs.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- Nice to cut the rest of the loaf of pumpernickel into half slices to serve with the meatballs and to even take an unsliced pumpernickel you've scooped out (use the scooped out part in place of the slices) and serve the meatballs that way!