Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
These delicious meatballs are made with ground beef, and ground pork sausage, which they are then cooked in a tangy cranberry-tomato sauce. The sauce is made of 2 kinds of canned jellied cranberries, (cranberry and cran-raspberry) along with tomato soup and a bit of water. This is a good way to use up those leftover canned cranberries, after the holidays are over. Update about this recipe: I have noticed that the grocery stores, (at least where I live) no longer sale the jellied cran-raspberries, so I'm sure these meatballs will taste just as good using the regular jellied canned cranberry sauce.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 8 ounces pork sausage (*See note)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 -3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 -5 dashes salt & pepper
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
Tangy Cranberry Sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) canjelled ocean spray cranraspberry sauce
- 8 ounces jelled ocean spray cranberry sauce
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- In a large bowl, mix all the meatball ingredients together.
- Shape into 34 (1 1/2-inch meatballs).
- Place on a greased (15 1/4 x 10 1/4 x 3/4-inch) baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- In the meantime, add both cranberry sauces and the can of tomato soup, in a Dutch Oven; mix together thoroughly.
- (I mix mine with a potato masher).
- Add water; stir until all is combined.
- When meatballs are done, add to the cranberry mixture.
- Cook over low heat (covered) for 20-25 minutes.
- We enjoy these with hot-cooked mashed potatoes.
- Note: For this recipe, I use seasoned ground pork sausage, which already has garlic, sage, salt, pepper, and onion in the sausage.