Recipe by Mrs. Flick
A nice Holiday appetizer for a slight change of a meatball in a different kind of sauce. This one, I believe is from Southern Living.
Top Review by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
VERY TASTY! Not as sweet as the meatballs made with chili sauce and grape jelly. I used 2.66 pounds of ground round, and increased the meatball ingredients appropriately, but did not increase the sauce ingredients. I substituted a heavy handed 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper for the red pepper flakes. I made 88 (1-inch ) balls with a small cookie scoop, and baked them on parchment paper for 15 minutes at 400F ~ Made for Fall PAC 2011.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) can cranberry sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Shape mixture into about 54 (1-inch) balls.
- Cook meatballs, in batches, in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned (about 5 minutes); remove meatballs from pan, and drain well on paper towels.
- Stir together cranberry and chili sauces and next 5 ingredients in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, and cook, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes or until smooth. Add meatballs; reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until centers are no longer pink.
- Note: To make ahead, place cooked meatballs in a zip-top plastic freezer bag, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.