Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
"Traditionally made with apricots and plums, these tarts have a place in Polish tradition. This version includes sweet-tart cranberries that complement a brown sugar-shortbread crust; a nut topping adds a pleasant crunch. Easy to prepare and oh-so good, they make an excellent snack or end to any meal." From Market of Choice.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (I used arrowroot) or 2 tablespoons arrowroot (I used arrowroot)
- 1 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 10 ounces fresh cranberries (or 10 oz pkg frozen cranberries)
- 1 small orange, zest of (I used part orange and part Meyer lemon)
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, shelled
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
Brown Sugar-Shortbread Crust
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (for this crust I tried dark brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold water (optional)
- Cranberry Filling: In a sauce pan, dissolve cornstarch into cold cranberry juice. Add sugar, cranberries and orange zest, then cook on high, stirring until bubbly (approx. 6 min). Reduce heat and simmer 20 min, until thickened. Set aside.
- Nut Topping: Combine all ingredients and set aside.
- Brown Sugar-Shortbread Crust : In a mixer, with paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy (approx. 4 minutes).
- Turn off mixer from time to time and, using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure ingredients are well blended. Incorporate dry ingredients.
- Add water to make dough easier to handle, if dough is dry and crumbly. Do not overwork.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/3” thickness. Cut 12, 4” rounds with a cookie cutter or the mouth of a glass (I use my trusty tortilla press!). If needed, gather excess dough and roll again.
- Press rounds into a small 12-muffin tin (1/3 cup muffin size) to form the tart crusts.
- Fill each crust with cranberry filling and top with nut mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees approximately 20 minutes.
- Cool completely, remove from muffin tin and garnish with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Note: These tarts are traditionally served with (cultured) sour cream.