Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yummy side dish for any season. I tend to eat sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes all year around. Good side for the holidays too!
- 1⁄4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled,quartered lengthwise,and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices (the kind that are orange inside)
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the cranberry juice, milk, salt, sugar, and sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes fall apart, about 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher (or ricer) in the saucepan, or transfer to a suitable dish for mashing if using a nonstick saucepan.
- Stir in dried cranberries and pepper.
We took this dish to a Small Group luncheon and it went over very well. I did make a few changes because I don't use whole milk, 1.I used heavy cream instead 2.I covered the top with small marshmellows. I found out it really does not need them.