Recipe by DailyInspiration
Pralines can be made ahead and stored at room temperature. The filling can be prepared and refrigerated up to 3 days. Recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Appetizer magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut up (no substitute)
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) carton mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange peel, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (or orange juice)
- fresh strawberry, halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Butter the foil; set aside.
- For pralines, cook sugar and butter in a heavy 8-inch skillet over medium heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally. Do not stir.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until sugar turns golden, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat; stir in nuts. Immediately spread coated nuts in a thin layer on prepared baking sheet. Cool; break into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, combine mascarpone cheese, cranberries, orange peel, and liqueur or juice in a medium mixing bowl. Spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch wide open-star tip. Pipe onto strawberry halves; arrange on a small plate. Garnish with pieces of praline.