Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I made this for holiday gifts and to have on hand for a healthier holiday snack, it is a nice way to lighten up granola using egg whites. I found the recipe in a recent 11/07 Bon Appetit Magazine and was pleasantly surprised to see the kids eating it by the handful:)
- Preheat 325 degrees.
- position rack in bottom third of oven.
- Spray a large jelly roll pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Stir 1/2 cup sugar and syrup in heavy small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves,occasionlly brush down sides with wet pasty brush.
- Pour into large bowl,cool to luke warm.
- Whisk in egg whites, extracts and spices.
- Add oats,nuts and remaining quarter cup of sugar,mix well.
- Spread mix in even layer on jelly roll.
- Bake 35 minutes.
- Using spatula turn granola over-bottom will be browned.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cranberries over and continue to bake 10 more minutes or till dry.
- Cool completely in pan.
*Made for Photo Swap* Delicious!! We loved this lightly spiced, not overly sweet granola. The addition of the cinnamon and allspice, as well as the vanilla and maple extracts made this deliciously different than most storebought granolas. Initially, the granola seemed to be getting too brown, too fast, so I reduced the oven temp. to 250 degrees and stirred the mixture every 5 to 10 mins. That did the trick. I baked it for approx. 45 mins., adding the cranberries the last 10 mins. Thank you for sharing this wonderful, healthy snack...it is definitely a keeper!
I used to be cooking it for so long time before I got my multicooker called Redmond M4500... <br/>God, it is so tasty and easy to make! Main thing is that its fast and I don't have to watch it. Also I am using fresh cranberries for this dish. Delicious!