Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Ocean Spray
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup quick oats or 1⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups ocean spray fresh cranberries or 1 1⁄4 cups frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Work butter into the dry ingredients until butter is the size of small peas.
- Stir in oats and set aside.
- Mix milk, oil, egg and maple extract in a separate bowl.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry, mixing just until dry ingredients are moist.
- Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 of the way full with batter.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over each muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Well I made a number of changes to this recipe, but the muffins turned out great! I didn't have maple extract, so I used 1/4 cup maple syrup (grade B) instead of the regular sugar. I also used whole wheat pastry flour and omitted the topping, just sprinkling some brown sugar on top of the muffins. I baked them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes in my convection oven (so I would be careful of baking them at 375 for 25 minutes!) Great idea and thanks for posting!