Chef mariajane's Note:
Rice pudding has been a favorite comfort food of many for years now - Now with Italian Arborio rice, pure maple syrup, cranberries and lemon, a creamy, decadent rice pudding is quick and easy to make any night of the week!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup arborio rice (short-grain Italian rice)
- 3 cups milk (approx.)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (or a mixture of all of them) or 1/4 cup cherries (or a mixture of all of them) or 1/4 cup blueberries, chopped if large (or a mixture of all of them)
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- ground cinnamon
- cinnamon stick
- 1In a heavy saucepan, bring rice, milk and syrup to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often.
- 2Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer,, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Stir in cranberries and half the lemon zest; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes longer or until rice is very soft and pudding is slightly thickened (it will thicken considerably upon cooling). Serve, hot, warm or cold, stirring in more milk as necessary to thin. Sprinkle each serving with remaining lemon zest, dividing equally, and cinnamon.
- 3TIP FOR KIDS: This is a recipe kids can assemble on their own with supervision when it's time to use the stove-top. They'll be so proud to serve it to their family and to eat it all up.
- 4COOKING TIP: Use 2% or whole milk for the best texture in this pudding. Spoon portions of rice pudding into small airtight containers and pack for breakfast or lunch along with some fresh fruit.
- 5FOR THE ADVENTUROUS: for a Chocolate Rice Pudding, omit cranberries, and lemon zest; simmer the pudding for 25-30 minutes until rice is soft; remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips until melted.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Maple Lemon Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.5
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 91.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of