Recipe by Chef mariajane
Rice pudding has been a favorite comfort food of many for years now - Now with Italian Arborio rice, pure maple syrup, cranberries and lemon, a creamy, decadent rice pudding is quick and easy to make any night of the week!!
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice (short-grain Italian rice)
- 3 cups milk (approx.)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries (or a mixture of all of them) or 1⁄4 cup cherries (or a mixture of all of them) or 1⁄4 cup blueberries, chopped if large (or a mixture of all of them)
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- ground cinnamon
- cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, bring rice, milk and syrup to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer,, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Stir in cranberries and half the lemon zest; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes longer or until rice is very soft and pudding is slightly thickened (it will thicken considerably upon cooling). Serve, hot, warm or cold, stirring in more milk as necessary to thin. Sprinkle each serving with remaining lemon zest, dividing equally, and cinnamon.
- TIP FOR KIDS: This is a recipe kids can assemble on their own with supervision when it's time to use the stove-top. They'll be so proud to serve it to their family and to eat it all up.
- COOKING TIP: Use 2% or whole milk for the best texture in this pudding. Spoon portions of rice pudding into small airtight containers and pack for breakfast or lunch along with some fresh fruit.
- FOR THE ADVENTUROUS: for a Chocolate Rice Pudding, omit cranberries, and lemon zest; simmer the pudding for 25-30 minutes until rice is soft; remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips until melted.