Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lovely side dish for a holiday meal, or any poultry or pork dinner.
- 2 lbs baby carrots, peeled if necessary
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with salted water; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil for 3 to 4 minutes or until almost fork tender; drain well and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat, then add carrots to melted butter, along with the craisins.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes or until carrots begin to brown.
- Stir in maple syrup, then add ginger, rosemary, and salt and pepper.
- Cook until carrots are tender, shiny and caramelized.
Wonderful vegetable side! I used thick sliced fresh carrots because I had lots on hand. I didn't have real maple syrup so I subbed with maple flavored pancake syrup. The aroma when you add the syrup, ginger and rosemary to the hot carrot mixture is simply divine! The glaze is so pretty and shiny immediately after cooking. I had to make this ahead of time to take to a family dinner and therefore I had to reheat it for serving. It still tasted great, but the glaze absorbed some and lost its shine. I recommend serving it immediately after glazing. Next time I will cook the carrots ahead of time but wait and add the glaze ingredients instead of doing it in advance. Thanks for a great recipe, Lennie. It made a wonderful addition to our Thanksgiving dinner.
WoW, These are so good, we really enjoyed the carrots. I served them with a green Salad, Baked Ham and AuGratin Potatoes. Also Peach Kuchen for Dessert, Yum Yum. Thanks Lennie for the great recipe.
This is a different way to make carrots. I'm trying to get more veggies in our meals and I think this is a good one! I used baby carrots and dried herbs- I'm sure fresh would be way...better.