Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a tart, nutty, tangy, sweet, cake with a hint of spice. You can make a loaf or muffins. Loaded with fresh cranberries, pecans, and ginger.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temp
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk (Give buttermilk a try)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 ounce crystallized ginger, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- In a food processor cream butter and sugar, add eggs then vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda& salt.
- Add to food processor.
- Process while adding milk through tube.
- Quickly add optional ingredients pulsing 2-3 times.
- Coat cranberries with the 2 teaspoon of flour and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon fold into batter.
- Pour into muffin tins or greased and floured loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees or till toothpick comes out clean. Less time for muffins about 25-30 minutes.
I also made this into muffins and they turned out perfect texture, nice orangy color and exciting flavor combination. I actually liked the flavors so much, I might double the orange rind, ginger and pecans next time.
Made this into muffins as a loaf of bread would only wind up with half it going to waste. This way I can freeze the muffins and take a couple out whenever we want something like this with our morning coffee. These have a nice tang from the cranberry, and perfect touch with the crystalized ginger and pecans I used. Thank you for this easy and tasty bread.
i've made this twice. the first time it looked like it was done, bus as it cooled it cracked in the center and the botton was uncooked. the second time i used 2 loaf pans, divided the batter, and cooked for 45 minutes, they came out fine. great sweet taste, the cranberries are wonderful in this recipe.